The present wave of COVID 19 caused by the Omicron variant will be soon over. The medical experts after witnessing peak and subsequent decreasing cases of corona virus across global centers, have predicted the present wave of corona, seemingly, to be the last one of the pandemic.
Businesses, those have been working remote during Covid 19 are now planning to implement a permanent work from home solution, as a future business policy. They have expressed this opinion in several surveys conducted by the researchers. Most of the CEOs during the surveys, were in favor of remote working except for employees in health and person care those require proximity to work. There are several reasons to implement WFH post-Covid for several reasons and most reasonable ones have been discussed below one-by-one.
Work From Home
Matching the Business Resilience to Pre-Covid Level
The biggest challenge, CEOs are expected to face after the pandemic is obtaining pre-Covid business levels in areas of sales, revenue, profitability, operations, supply chain and others. Bouncing back the cash flow levels to previous levels is the biggest opportunity they would have to manage. Work-for-home home is a most practical and timely solution to reduce business pressure of cost cutting by saving workforce commuting expenses and time, reducing real-estate expenses, reducing business travelling and others. At the same time, remote working is still going to stay, unless, medical fraternity doesn’t declare complete elimination of the epidemic.
Improved Cost of Running Business
In order to achieve business levels to pre-pandemic, companies are required to have greater restraint on spending money on operations and activities. They can save money to keep them competitive in the market by reducing expenses in certain areas and promoting remote working across their business eco-system. The areas, where, they can save money, exponentially,are:-
- Real estate cost: While most of the employees working from home on their personal workstations, it is great relief from the hiring company not to worry about IT infrastructure and update. It is not required for them to pay monthly rental bills, anymore. It helps them to reduce overhead costs, substantially. Along with rent, they can save money by adopting remote working on parking, security, refreshments, operations and others. Yet, they can run operations from brick-and-motor venues with hybrid culture in place for executives and professional to take strategic decisions and participate in brain storming.
- Reduced labor cost: With employees working from home, companies can give a thought around cutting expenses on certain perks offeredto them. Home rent allowance and travel expenses are the areas, where, companies can manage cost of running operations in new environment after pandemic. However, the money saved, thus, can be further reinvested in up-skilling and training of employees to improve their productivity
- Reduced business travel: Remote working supported with visual aids for conferencing, chatting and project management has made it futile for an executive to travel for business meets. He, from his location can have detailed and long business discussions with partners and associates on Zoom and other video conferencing gadgets and peripherals.
Flexible Work Environment
Opportunity to work around the clock with flexible working hours and work-life balance, makes remote working as an ideal choice for workforce of future. Lesser commuting time, while, spared time shared with family members, makes it a win-win situation for employers as well as employees. Leisure time spent doing micro-exercise like yoga or walking during teams meetings with camera off reduces health risks to a greater extent. Additionally, remote working has several other positive impacts on work environment within an organization.
- Enhanced employee productivity: Remote working optimizes workforce productivity by removing distractions, otherwise, existing in on office working. It has been the experience during Covid 19, that employees are more productive in WFH instead of working in a traditional office.
- Time saving: Now, an employee after waking up can immediately on his workstation without wasting time in traffic jams and commuting. He can spent more of his personal time for the company saving company’s time as well as money for him.
- Omnipresent office: Work from home let your office to operate around the clock as you have employees from different time zone. While one is taking rest from one region, the other one from the different zone can take care of left out task.
- Best talent on payroll beyond boundaries: A company will be free to choose the best talent for their business from across the world from any location. Online interview offers flexibility to hire from anywhere, standing your business out from competition.
- Round the clock workforce access: Now the workers and employee will be readily available to management at their convenient time. They will be within approach beyond nine-to-ten schedule, more responsive and prompt. There will be more flexible business hours for employees and employer, both.
Solution to Proximity Puzzle
What remote working offers as a solution, is a peace of mind from fear of any contagious diseases in the near future. Though, Covid 19 appearing to be soon diminishing, but no one knows what is kept next in the Pandora box of uncertainty. In order to ensure the safety of employees and customers, physical spaces are needed to be used cautiously and wisely as never before. It is the level of proximity that will determine which tasks are to be done indoors or onsite. Site dependent jobs are mostly those which require special equipment or machinery. They are further supported by digitization and automation.
Rise in digital payments and eCommerce
The Covid pandemic, has witnessed unprecedented surge in digital payments and e-Commerce, and this will not going to fade way in near future, would rather increase. Customers are asking for more face-to-face online briefs with support executive for product or services they are buying. Customer experience management will be in the priority list of businesses in coming years and remote working would have most of its chunk.
Plethora of Communication Tools
In addition, to fast internet and cloud hosting solutions, there an array of online project management, CRM, ERP and collaborative tools are available now-a-days to business for remote working. Combining, all these have made WFH easier, simpler and faster than a few years back. Time tracking, virtual conferencing, instant messaging, e-mails are available to ease and manage remote working, seamlessly
Innovative Work Culture Backed by Generation Z
The first contenders’ for the future WFH workforce are millennials and generation Z. They are more tech savvy than previous generations and can offer organizations more leverage in innovation and efficiency that are using digital transformation infrastructure. Remote working is always on millennials preference list while vouching for flexible work hour.
It also enables sharing of diverse cultural experience and local market insight from their regions, an opportunity, a growing business always looking for. Moreover, you are accessible around the clock to your customers with time divided between on-site and off-premises.
Lower Carbon Emissions
With work from home opportunity for employees, companies can strengthen their commitment more towards environment protection and sustainability. It reduces carbon footprint for an organization, when, its employees are working remotely and don’t commute. The virtual means for business conferences and working will not only have positive impact on environment but overall health of workforce, too.
While achieving the business resilience, WFH along with digital transformation requires ensured employee engagement, training of remote workers and growth programs. No doubt, WFH is future of working.